Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Wisconsin Trapping Season 2015-2016

Here is my photo gallery and stories from the 2015-2015 Wisconsin Trapping Season.  I am only targeting fox and coyotes, however I'll harvest any coon or skunk that happen to get in the mix too.  I'll try to update this blog as often as catches come in.  

I set a Bridger dogless #2 in broken cornstalk set, using Trapper Art's NITRO long distance call lure on the cornstalk, and Southern Snares and Supply's JUST MICE predator bait in the dirthole.  That same night, I caught a coyote that I believe was "stolen" before I got there.
So the next morning, I made the exact same set, except I moved the remake set to the outside of the first catch circle, shown above.  The urine/scent from the first catch would attract another coyote, but sometimes they are circle shy and won't step directly in the messed up area.

And, it worked.  I caught this male on the remake set.  I remade the remake set, and just moved the trap another foot outside the second catch circle. 


Update: 12/4/2015
Caught this male, probably from the same family lines, as it was the exact same trap and set as the coyote above.  2nd trap night.  Capital Punishment predator bait down a dirthole with red fox jelly urine on the backing.  MB550.


Ermine


I'm up to 5 bobcats so far this season; all caught and released..refer to my Bobcat blog post for more pictures and details of the sets.




01/11/2016:
Got my first cable restraint catch of the season today; a young male caught in a cable that hung since Christmas day, 17 nights total.  It was -26 degrees F when I started my trap check this morning.  Another nice neck catch using cables made by Brian at Southern Snares and Supply.







No comments:

Post a Comment