Thursday, December 4, 2014

Wisconsin Cable Restraints; My Second Season








Coyote held securely and humanely in a cable restraint with a relaxing lock.   
 Last year I didn't do so good using cable restraints.  I made alot of stupid beginner mistakes, and after being skunked, I worked really hard to figure out what I was doing wrong.  It looks like I finally figured it out because I got these two males the night after setting, and only had 6 sets out in this area.  Please visit the WI DNR trapping page for the cable restraint handbook.



Two males within 25 feet of each other, caught in cable restraints set on trails and crossing intersections.


Before the catch, notice the cable restraint loop hanging...

After the catch.  The key to successful cable restraint catches is NO entanglement; notice the HUGE catch circle that a cable restraint creates, and that the coyote was not able to reach another that could catch on the cable and not to wrap around that barbed wire fence in the background.


Turned out to be a nice big male.  The landowner was especially pleased, as he is a sheep farmer and loses lambs every year, as well as his cocker spaniel was attacked by coyotes last summer.






PERFECT NECK CATCH!

This is a perfect cable restraint catch.  The coyote went under the fence, and down the path, putting a perfect neck catch on himself.  No entanglement, no fur damage.

Before/After, set hung for 3 weeks



1 comment:

  1. I can appreciate my coyote fur coat so much more after seeing how hard you work to attain the animals to make it. Nice trapping btw and love your hat :)

    ReplyDelete